Family movie nights are a well established tradition in our house. Luckily, our children typically…
Even though we’ve had a little bit of a cool spell lately, as we head into July and the hot days ahead, it’s good to make sure you’re ready for the Summer sun and have everything you need on hand. Here are a few things to keep in mind and some tips for the hottest days of the year.
Hot Weather Tips
- Check weather forecasts to know what to pack if heading out for the day or for days when you want to hang out in the backyard. Make sure you’re stocked up on sunscreen (don’t forget waterproof for beach days), hats, and water
- You hear this a lot but stay hydrated. Keep a few extra water bottles in the car just in case along with some drinks containing electrolytes.
- Dress in light, airy clothing that breaths and allows airflow. This is especially good to keep in mind for when you have to pop your kids in and out of carseats.
- Stay in the shade when you can and make sure delicate skin is protected with SPF (really important for those with skin prone to burning)
- Have cool showers and baths to help cool off. Tip: add a few drops of mint essential oil to the bath to help boost the cooling effects.
- Don’t overexert yourself for fun or work (and drink lots of water!) to avoid heat- induced sickness such as heat exhaustion or heat stroke
- Pop your pillows in the freezer a few hours before bedtime for a refreshing coolness. Cover with a plastic bag and pop in the freezer and remove a few minutes before bedtime (remove from plastic bag before putting back in pillowcase)
What are you hot weather tips?